Are you defensive? Cannot enjoy silence?
Do you joke excessively? Self-promoting?
Do you bully others? Are you overly authoritative?
Are you overly competitive? Are you materialistic?
“INSECURE ka friend”
One of the greatest endeavors we can never escape is to learn how to accept who we really are. An individual who has learned to accept who he/she is has a greater chance to achieve success, have a meaningful life, and most of all respect from other people.
An individual who feels insecure finds every aspect of life full of difficulties and misery. Since most individuals are insecure, an individual who is secure has control and power over others; even if they are not actually powerful.
Accepting who you are is a half way step in achieving a meaningful existence. The earlier you realize that true happiness is something you develop with in yourself, and not that you achieve from others or from the things you have; the earlier you will be able to mold your own destiny.
A lifetime of development
Every individual has insecurity beneath its skin. It is undeniable that it is almost impossible to be completely free from insecurities. Oliver Mapili, a junior B.S. Criminology student, said that he is jealous of other guys who are good looking because they always get the attention of the girls. Kaye Ann Turco, a freshman BSBA student, said that it is unfair to have unequal treatment with good looking persons and the not so good looking. Throughout history, there have been only few individuals who have prolonged self-confidence, and as a matter of fact most of them became great spiritual leaders. Up to this time, we look to them as our inspirations.
The first step towards happiness and a wonderful life is simply by building your esteem. If you have low amount of self-esteem in your system you will not be the person you want to be and you will have limited happiness. Increasing your self-esteem is directly proportional to increasing your self-confidence. If you have gained confidence you will learn to respect yourself and later on you will gain the respect of others, enhance your interpersonal relationships and be happy….this is not being selfish since you can contribute more and show the world what you can do. Low self-esteem will lead to stress, sadness, insecurity, and low confidence. You will be intimidated of others assets. Inner criticism is an act when you judge yourself negatively. You feel pity of your self which makes you pessimistic.
Self-confidence is something you learn from your experiences. Aris Villahermosa, a freshman B.S. Nursing student, said that words cannot put him down. It is often achieved when you get older or smarter, but sometimes other people just cannot find it. Those who have acquired self-confidence earlier will find life much easy than those who have not.
A pain in the neck
Nobody is perfect; it is easy to observe those that are insecure with other people’s fortune. Obsession is one of the bad results of being too much insecure, seeking approval from other people. Extreme insecurity gives a headache to a person and is often the cause of almost all his struggles.
Secure people find contentment from their selves; while insecure people find contentment from the approval of other people. This behavior is manifested in two major areas:
1. A person becomes overly selfish. Male and female experience insecurities, but males have more slightly low chances to feel this way. An individual who is very selfish finds contentment by acquiring possessions, approval, and attention.
2. A person becomes overly accommodating. This form of insecurity is experienced by both sexes, but females have more slightly low chances to feel this way. An individual who is very accommodating finds contentment by being so humble when interacting with others.
A remedy for you
1. learn to face your fears. Do not be scared by the challenges you encounter. Remember that facing your fears is a good way to enhance your self-confidence and self-esteem.
2. learn to forget your failures but learn from them. Do not commit the same mistakes you have done but it does not mean that you should not try again. Do not be afraid to try, be wise and strong. Move on!
3. learn to now what you want and ask for it. Do not be afraid to set your goals in life. Take the risk to believe in your self.
4. learn to eward yourself when you succeed. Do not hesitate to give your self a reward because no one else will.
5. learn to talk. Do not assume of a situation which are not true. Do not be afraid to ask or answer questions.
6. learn to be strong Do not be scared to try something else. Everyone experiences failures so start flexing your muscles.